USA Today’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week:
1. Darker by E.L. James (Vintage, fiction, on sale Nov. 28)
- What it’s about: Christian Grey retells Fifty Shades Darker from his point of view; the latest title in the wildly popular, kinky Fifty Shades of Grey saga.
- The buzz: This is the second in the trilogy to be told from Christian’s perspective; the first, Grey (2015), was an instant No. 1 USA TODAY best sell
2. Tom Clancy Power and Empire by Marc Cameron (Putnam, fiction, on sale Nov. 28)
- What it’s about: Unlike our current president, U.S. President Jack Ryan is at serious odds with China’s (fictional) leader.
- The buzz: Cameron is the latest writer to take on this best-selling thriller franchise; Clancy died in 2013.
3. Past Perfect by Danielle Steel (Delacorte, fiction, on sale Nov. 28)
- What it’s about: Past and present collide — literally — in this story about a modern family in San Francisco who meet the original 1917 inhabitants of their mansion after an earthquake shakes the rafters.
- The buzz: The prolific Steel has had a remarkable 70 titles hit USA TODAY’s top 10.
4. The Man Who Made the Movies by Vanda Krefft (Harper, non-fiction, on sale Nov. 28)
- What it’s about: Biography explores the “meteoric rise and tragic fall” of William Fox, a movie mogul of the silent era whose studio still bears his name.
- The buzz: “Captivating…makes for gripping storytelling,” says Publishers Weekly.
5. A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay (Atria, fiction, on sale Nov. 28)
- What it’s about: The lives of several generations intersect when a young married couple with a new baby buy the Brisbane house of an older woman who moves into a senior living facility.
- The buzz: It’s an Indie Next pick of independent booksellers. “Beautifully written, (a) quiet gem of a novel,” says Sarajane Giddings of Blue Door Books in Cedarhurst, N.Y.