USA Today’’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week:
1. Two Kinds of Truth by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown, fiction, on sale Oct. 31)
- What it’s about: In Connelly’s 20th Harry Bosch book, the detective gets pulled into a prescription drug case while volunteering for the San Fernando police force; meanwhile an imprisoned killer from Bosch’s LAPD days claims the cop framed him.
- The buzz: Connelly had a No. 1 USA TODAY best seller in July with The Late Show, in which he introduced a new character, Det. Renée Ballard.
2. Pretty Fun by Kate Hudson (Dey St., non-fiction, on sale Oct. 31)
- What it’s about: The actress writes an entertaining guide, complete with recipes, on how to create and celebrate a “lifetime of tradition.”
- The buzz: Hudson also wrote last year’s best seller Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways to Love Your Body.
3. Hiddensee: A Tale of the Once and Future Nutcracker by Gregory Maguire (William Morrow, fiction, on sale Oct. 31)
- What it’s about: The author of Wicked imagines the back story of Drosselmeier, the toymaker who carves the famous Nutcracker of sugar-plum fairy fame.
- The buzz: It’s an Indie Next recommendation of independent booksellers.
4. Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier by Mark Frost (Flatiron, fiction, on sale Oct. 31)
- What it’s about: Novel bridges the 25-year gap between the original TV mystery series and the 2017 Showtime sequel, filling us in on what happened to key characters.
- The buzz: Frost is co-creator, with David Lynch, of the Twin Peaks franchise.
5. In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende (Atria, fiction, on sale Oct. 31)
- What it’s about: The lives of three people, including an undocumented immigrant, become intertwined after a minor traffic accident in a snowstorm and the discovery of a body in the trunk of a car.
- The buzz: “Fantastic… a suspenseful, icy adventure,” says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.