USA Today’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week:
1. Endurance by Scott Kelly (Knopf, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
- What it’s about: In this memoir, the astronaut tells his life story, beginning with his childhood as a “terrible student,” through the year he spent aboard the International Space Station.
- The buzz: “Fascinating stuff…a worthy read for space buffs,” says Kirkus Reviews.
2. Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks (Knopf, fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
- What it’s about: Seventeen short stories, each featuring a typewriter in some way.
- The buzz: The Academy Award-winning actor collects vintage typewriters and apparently isn’t afraid to use them.
3. Leonardo da Vinci by Walter Isaacson (Simon & Schuster, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
- What it’s about: A biography of the great Renaissance painter (The Last Supper, Mona Lisa) who also had a passion for science.
- The buzz: Continues Isaacson’s series of books about creative geniuses, including Einstein and the No. 1 USA TODAY best seller, Steve Jobs.
4. The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine (Harper, fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
- What it’s about: A scheming young woman determined to be the “next Mrs. Parrish” insinuates herself into the lives of golden Connecticut couple Jackson and Daphne Parrish; written under a pen name by sisters Lynne and Valerie Constantine.
- The buzz: A “devilishly ingenious debut thriller,” says Publishers Weekly in a starred review.
5. Reckless Daughter: A Portrait of Joni Mitchell by David Yaffe (Sarah Crichton Books/Farrar, Straus & Giroux, non-fiction, on sale Oct. 17)
- What it’s about: Looks at the life of the folk singer/songwriter, now 73, who penned such classics as Both Sides Now, Woodstock and Free Man in Paris.
- The buzz: Yaffe is the author of Bob Dylan: Like a Complete Unknown.