USA Today’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week in her New and Noteworthy column:
1. Remembering Diana: A Life in Photographs; foreword by Tina Brown (National Geographic, non-fiction, on sale Aug. 1)
- What it’s about: More than 100 images of Princess Diana, from her school days through her royal years and beyond; with personal reminiscences from those who knew her.
- The buzz: It’s being published to mark the 20th anniversary of Diana’s death in a car crash on Aug. 31, 1997.
2. Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta (Scribner, fiction, on sale Aug. 1)
- What it’s about: A divorcee becomes obsessed with X-rated websites, while her son gets into trouble at college.
- The buzz: Perrotta will do a USA TODAY #BookmarkThis Facebook Live chat with fans Aug. 3 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT.
3. Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After by Heather Harpham (Henry Holt, non-fiction, on sale Aug. 1)
- What it’s about: The author’s memoir about making a family after her daughter is born with a rare blood condition and the baby’s absent father wrestles with ambivalence about his role.
- The buzz: It’s an Indie Next pick of independent booksellers. “A deeply moving testament to love, commitment and happiness,” says Luisa Smith of Book Passage in Corte Madera, Calif.
4. Sour Heart by Jenny Zhang (Lenny, fiction, on sale Aug. 1)
- What it’s about: This debut collection of short stories deals with the immigrant experience in America.
- The buzz: The initial offering from Random House’s Lenny imprint, run by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner (Girls).
5. One Summer Day in Rome by Mark Lamprell (Flatiron, fiction, on sale Aug. 1)
- What it’s about: This romantic novels tells three interconnected stories of people finding love in the ancient city they’re visiting.
- The buzz: “A sparkly Roman romance,” says Publishers Weekly.