USA Today’s Jocelyn McClurg scopes out the hottest books on sale each week in her New and Noteworthy column:
1. Talon of God by Wesley Snipes and Ray Norman (Harper Voyager, fiction, on sale July 25)
- What it’s about: In this supernatural thriller, a young doctor named Lauryn Jefferson is pulled into an apocalyptic battle between heaven and hell, and aided by “spirit warrior” Talon Hunter.
- The buzz: This is the debut novel by the actor (Blade), and Snipes told Deadline that he wants to follow with a screen adaptation.
2. Amanda Wakes Up by Alisyn Camerota (Viking, fiction, on sale July 25)
- What it’s about: The co-host of CNN’s New Day writes a novel about an idealistic young reporter who lands a morning anchor gig at FAIR News amid cable-news ratings madness.
- The buzz: “Entertaining,” says Publishers Weekly.
3. Sons and Soldiers by Bruce Henderson (William Morrow, non-fiction, on sale July 25)
- What it’s about: The true story of young German Jews who fled Nazi Germany in the 1930s and later returned to Europe to fight for the U.S. Army during World War II.
- The buzz: It’s an Indie Next pick of independent booksellers. “Thrilling … a masterpiece,” says Christopher Rose of The Spirit of ’76 Bookstore in Marblehead, Mass.
4. What She Ate by Laura Shapiro (Viking, non-fiction, on sale July 25)
- What it’s about: A group bio of six women and “the food that tells their stories,” including Eleanor Roosevelt; Helen Gurley Brown of Cosmo fame; Eva Braun, Hitler’s mistress; and British novelist Barbara Pym.
- The buzz: “A unique and delectable work,” says Kirkus Reviews.
5. Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips (Viking, fiction, on sale July 25)
- What it’s about: Horror story about a mother and her 4-year-old son who must run for their lives in a zoo when a gunman appears as the gates are closing.
- The buzz: It’s another Indie Next pick. “Absolutely gripping,” says Deon Stonehouse of Sunriver Books & Music in Sunriver, Ore.