Breaking Up Is Hard To DoOctober 5th, 2012 | Posted by in Television
“Glee” did its much anticipated/dreaded Break-Up episode on Thursday night, and yes dears, there were tears and more tears. Writer Ryan Murphy poured it on.
Finn and Rachel. Finished.
Kurt and Blaine. Done.
Santana and Brittany. Kaput.
Executive producer Brad Falchuk told TVLine the episode’s primary goal was to “shake everything up” before “Glee” returns in November. (Debates and baseball.) In the meantime, plenty of time for feedback.
But Falchuk reassured fans:
Nothing is set in stone. For now things are different. But that there’s an enormous amount of love there, so there’s a great chance of a lot of them getting back together.”
It was one of “Glee’s” strongest episodes… but not the “best ever” as some critics are writing. Too sad. And too silly — the new Kitty character needs to go.
The acting was excellent, especially Lea Michelle and Naya Rivera (finally back on the show), and the singing was superb.
Six songs that are all keepers:
- Finn and Blaine teaming up on Duncan Sheik’s “Barely Breathing”
- Michele’s powerful performance on “Don’t Speak”
- A delightful Rachel-Brody duet of “Give Your Heart A Break”
- Rivera’s sweet spin on Taylor Swift’s “Mine”
- Darren Criss’ agonizing slowed-down version of “Teenage Dream”
- The beautifully staged ensemble finale of Coldplay’s “The Scientist”