I know you can’t wait until the Fall TV season starts… but hold on, we’re still got some terrific summer TV to savor. As August turns to September, let’s reflect back on a fun-filled summer on the tube… and I’m only talking about scripted series. Thanks mainly to cable, there was was something to watch (or tape) every night of the week. And unlike, the rest of the year, no repeats, no long dry spells between episodes. And there are still big finales to come.
Here’s my summer Top 10:
- Rescue Me (FX) — best season yet. Final ep Tuesday.
- True Blood (HBO) — Sunday bloody Sunday.
- Royal Pains (USA) — perfect summer show.
- Burn Notice (USA) — nice comeback season.
- Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family) — hidden gem.
- Pushing Daisies/Eli Stone/Dirty Sexy Money (ABC) — glad we got to see them finish.
- Monk (USA) — going out on a high note.
- Leverage (TNT) — fine cast, fun escapism.
- Warehouse 13 (Syfy) — good fit for rebranded network.
- Merlin (NBC) — well-produced take on pre-Camelot.
Honorable mention — Hung (HBO), Nurse Jackie (Showtime), Eureka (Syfy), The Philanthropist (NBC), Defying Gravity (ABC).