Our Joy Hog mascot is dancing around the Maypole to celebrate May Day, which in addition to being a celebration of Spring, a neopagan festival and a saint’s feast day, is also a day for organized labor and political protests.
- May 1 is also Opening Day of the summer movie season. It’s a limp start judging from high-profile reviews of “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” Rolling Stone’s Peter Travers gives it two stars. EW’s grade is a C-plus.
- Christina Applegate is on the cover of People’s 100 Most Beautiful issue. Christina Aguilera with baby Max, Michelle Obama and the cast of “90210” are also honored.
- “Chuck” is the top pick in USA Today’s annual Save Our Shows poll, followed by “Cold Case,” “Without A Trace” and “Castle.” USA Today did not include “Life,” “Dollhouse” and “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,” figuring those shows are already doomed.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones is reportedly interested in acquiring the film rights to Susan Boyle’s life story… and playing the frumpster.
- The great Pete Seeger celebrates his 90th birthday May 3 with a gala benefit concert at Madison Square Garden. The all-star guest list includes Bruce Springsteen, Dave Mathews, John Mellencamp, Eddie Vedder and Emmylou Harris.