Young and edgy sells music but it doesn’t seem to impress Grammy voters. Veterans Robert Plant and Alison Krauss took album of the year with their unlikely pairing on “Raising Sand,” beating out bestsellers Lil Wayne and Coldplay on Sunday. A year ago, Herbie Hancock (“River: The Joni Letters”) beat out Kanye West and Amy Winehouse for the big prize. Plant and Krauss (the all-time female award winner with 26) also took record of the year with “Please Read The Letter.” Coldplay’s mesmerizing “Viva La Vida” won song of the year.
Sunday’s telecast, though, was more about the star-filled musical performances than the awards.
Our five favorite acts:
1. Radiohead with the USC Marching Band (“15 Step”)
2. Paul McCartney with Dave Grohl (“I Saw Her Standing There”)
3. Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers (“Superstition”)
4. Justin Timberlake and Al Green (“Let’s Stay Together”)
5. Jennifer Hudson (“You Pulled Me Through”)